CSUSM holds contest to establish official fight song

Students and alumni offered opportunity to contribute to the university’s history

Anderson Gould Jr.

CSUSM students cheering for the men’s basketball team in the 2013 Homecoming game.

Andrea Martinez, Copy Editor

As the university grows, current Cal State San Marcos students are watching history be made on campus and now have the opportunity to make a mark themselves.

CSUSM is holding a contest for the university’s first official fight song to embody the spirit of the Cougars. For priority consideration, songs must be submitted by Wednesday, March 30 on the Fight Song Contest page at www.csusm.edu/tukwutlife/fightsong.

Lyrics can be set to the suggested music available for download on the contest page or may be submitted with original music. Any submissions that feature profanity or inappropriate content will not be considered.

For consideration, the lyrics should be timeless and applicable to the general CSUSM population, not specific to any one team, organization or person.

The contest guidelines state that a good submission would include two to four verses, with a first verse that can stand alone as a chorus.

Submissions by current students and alumni will be considered by the Fight Song Committee and students will be able to vote for the best song between April 15 and April 22.

The winner of the contest will be awarded $1,000 in gifts cards, prizes and CSUSM gear. The final song will be revealed at the official Sept. 1 opening of the Sports Center.

Jason Schreiber, Co-Chair of the Fight Song Committee said, “Cal State San Marcos is at a great point with its spirit and energy. It continues to grow and I think it’s the perfect time for us to take this next step and really continue to make history and build the Cougar spirit.”

Dance Club President Michelle Fekete said, “An official fight song would pump up the Cougar pride by unifying the spirit of the school and create new traditions for students to remember for a lifetime.”

CSUSM has experienced tremendous growth in the past two years having opened the University Student Union and the Veterans Center, as well as having transitioned into the NCAA Division II. With the addition of the Sports Center in the fall, the inclusion of an official fight song is expected to heighten the athletic spirit of CSUSM and the camaraderie of the university as a whole.