CSUSM senior incorporates human development ideologies with dance

Madison Scrivano, A&E Staff Writer

CSUSM senior Cierra Potts is a human development major who has found a way to connect ideas of the study to how she sees, feels and teaches dance.

She first got involved in dance at a very young age. Although her interest in becoming a dance minor was at first just for fun, it soon became a passion. By being mentored by her professors, Potts acquired a unique perspective on how she could combine her interest with dance and counseling.

“At first I was just taking classes here and then I started being mentored with the professors… After a year or so into it, I was driven towards dance culture and the acceptance of dance as an effective medium within the arts, much like counseling,” Potts said.

By practicing yoga and reiki in her spare time, Potts has become inspired to develop a course that incorporates human development ideas, philosophies and movement awareness.

“My idea for a future course here on campus would be a movement awareness class that incorporates counseling techniques, so that I can have an effective time in understanding your emotions and how they are connected through your body, as well as how others perceive you based on how you use your body and emotions,” said Potts.

She said she hopes students will attend the Spring Dance Performance to support student dancers and learn to appreciate the beauty of the art form because dancers at CSUSM, and dancers in general, don’t necessarily have a large space to share their ideas.

“It’s important for students to come and see us because its an eye opener. I’ve seen dance and movement being created that I couldn’t even imagine doing myself. It’s mind blowing. Dance is whatever you want it to be and it’s completely up to the viewers’ interpretation,” said Potts.

Acknowledging the lack of resources the dance department has, Potts has personally donated old costumes to the department.

“There aren’t enough student advocates pursuing it and the faculty doesn’t have the time, tools and money. The department has very little funding and it runs mainly off of student donations,” Potts said.

By trying to combine dance with human development ideology, Potts has proven that she isn’t afraid to think outside the box.

“A lot of females are kept from having these opportunities [and] are not allowed to reach the goals that they chase. Having these opportunities available to me is empowering,” said Potts.

Her overall goal is to inspire others to connect with their bodies through movement in a way that helps them to understand their mind, body, soul and the way in which they are all equally interconnected.

Be sure to check out the CSUSM 12th Annual Spring Dance Concert, Off-­Centre, at 7 p.m. on May 5 through May 6 in Arts 111.