Negotiation workshop empowers women to attack gender wage gap

Women encouraged to know their worth, to negotiate for equal salary

Cesia Cano, Staff Writer

The American Association of University Women came to the Career Center at CSUSM to host a negotiation skill-based workshop that aimed to teach women how to overcome the gender-based wage gap.

The Start Smart Salary Negotiation event, held on March 16, focused on two things: empowering women to pursue a salary which matches their male counterparts and teaching them the necessary steps to achieve this goal.

In today’s society, there is a significant gap in salary earnings between the sexes. In 2014, studies showed that women made 79 percent yearly earnings in comparison to men. That’s the same as women earning 79 cents for every dollar a man makes within the same job position.

Presenters emphasized that it is important to recognize that the pay gap is harmful, as it affects women’s lives in more ways than one.

One of the factors contributing to these statistics may be lack of salary negotiation on the part of women. Major skills taught at the event included knowing one’s value and how to demand it. Attendees learned that it is up to the individual to present their strengths and unique qualities to their employer, and settle for nothing less than what they deserve.

The Start Smart Salary Negotiation workshop prepared students with a number of tips and scenarios to achieve their targeted salary.

The first step that presenters discussed is identifying the wage range paid within the field one is looking to apply for prior to the job interview.

The next steps involved practicing negotiation techniques, using them at the time of the job interview, being confident in what one has to offer and being firm in striving for a worthy salary along with benefits.

The gender pay gap in the United States has been an ongoing women’s issue throughout the years, and although significant progress has been made, there is still a gap of inequality waiting to be closed.

A vast majority of women tend to be apprehensive when it comes to salary negotiation, but the American Association of University Women aims to motivate women to get rid of that fear. The association wants women to understand that they are valuable, and advocating for pay equity is a woman’s right.

To learn more about this topic and the skills necessary to change the gender wage gap, visit www.aauw.org