Cougars had good showing at Aztec Invitational

Rebecca Sykes, Staff Writer

The CSUSM men’s and women’s track and field teams competed in the Aztec Invitational, hosted by San Diego State University on March 25.

Jasmine Oliver, with her Cougar blue hair, anchored an impressive 4×100 relay. The relay team of Jolene Widmer, Kamarria Rehn, Lauren Wyckoff and Oliver finished with a time of 49.92 seconds and secured first place in their heat.

“It feels pretty good to win our heat today. We just went out there hoping to place and hoped for a faster time this week,” said Oliver.

Another women’s relay team had great success during the Friday session of the meet. The women’s 4×400 team of Wyckoff, Charlotte Kuzminsky, Elizabeth Buckle and Danielle Tildahl set a season team record of 3:38 and won their heat.  

Sophomore Elizabeth Buckle came in fourth place in the women’s 800-meter with a season-best of 2:17.64. Junior Justin Washington finished third in the men’s 800-meter with a time of 1:53.63. Both Buckle and Washington have qualified for California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA) Championships in this event.

Frederik Jahr has been consistent this season with high jump, recently improving his CCAA qualifying mark with a season-best leap of 2.01m/6’7” at the Ross & Sharon Irwin Collegiate Scoring Meet on March 20.

Jahr, a junior, has 12 years of experience as a high jumper. Despite competing in sprints, Jahr has always thought of himself as a jumper.

His prowess as a jumper showed with a fifth place finish in the high jump with 1.93 meters at the Aztec Invitational.

As the the day came to an end, the events on the track began to unwind. Trelani Waters qualified for CCAA for the 1500 meter with a time of 4:02, while Patrick Holstrom placed second place in the javelin with a throw of 51.83 meters.
Track and field’s next meet is at 10 a.m. on April 2 at the California Collegiate Invitational at UCSD in La Jolla.