Why Marilyn McWilliams is one of my role models

Office of Diversity staff member brings passion, hard work to all of her projects

Katlin Sweeney, Editor-in-Chief

In the four years that I have been at CSUSM, few people have inspired me to approach everyday as enthusiastically and selflessly as Marilyn McWilliams.

Marilyn’s list of campus involvement is as impressive as her achievements list. During her 18 years at CSUSM, her awards have included being recognized by Black Student Union at their awards night, being named a Civility Champion and receiving the Jonathan Pollard Award for social justice through student affairs. Although she is best known at CSUSM for serving as the Administrative Assistant in the Office of Diversity, Educational Equity, Inclusion and Ombuds Services for the last four years, Marilyn is also an active and loving member of multiple organizations across campus.

In addition to the Office of Diversity, Marilyn is a member of the Asian Pacific Islander Faculty & Staff Association, African American Faculty Staff Association, LGBTQA Faculty Staff Association and Latino Association of Faculty & Staff. Her previous positions on campus have also included working in the Early Learning Center and in ASI, in addition to being the President of the African American Faculty Staff Association for two terms.

Although I thoroughly admire her dedication to the various organizations and programs she works with at CSUSM, what I love most about Marilyn is her character. Regardless of how tired or stressed she may be, Marilyn attacks everyday with as much kindness, love and passion as she can muster. Every event, awards ceremony and meeting she goes to, she enters the room with a bright smile and a loving hello for everyone in attendance. She is one of the friendliest faces on campus, but she is also one of the strongest women at CSUSM. She dedicates all of her time, energy and support to projects she cares about so that they succeed at the level she wants them to.

When I first met Marilyn, I was a freshman and the Features Editor at The Cougar Chronicle. I was assigned to write a story about the Office of University Ombuds and I happened across her office when I was wandering through the floors of Craven Hall. She was typing away on her computer, surrounded by massive piles of folders and flyers, and was clearly busy. When I said hello to her, she immediately stopped working, greeted me and helped me schedule the last few interviews I was struggling to get with some of the Ombuds staff.

Since then, Marilyn has always greeted me with a smile and a hug. Even when our friendship was brand new, she has always been open-hearted and genuinely interested in hearing about my day, how the newspaper is and how she can support me. But Marilyn’s most amazing quality is that regardless of how many emails are in her inbox, how busy she is or how long her to-do list is, she always makes the time for the people she cares about.
Thank you, Marilyn, for being an amazing member of the CSUSM community. But most of all, thank you for being my friend. Your kindness, positive attitude and warm hugs have been some of the biggest reasons that I am grateful to be a CSUSM Cougar. Someday, I hope to be as amazing and strong as you.