The Cougar Chronicle talks with ‘Everybody Wants Some!!’ actors

Film celebrates college experience

Madison Scrivano, A&E Staff Writer

Attending college is a unique experience. You make new friends, enjoy social outings and learn things about yourself and your identity.

Directing a film to describe the college journey, director Richard Linklater (“Boyhood”) brings the new and fun-­filled movie comedy “Everybody Wants Some!!” to the big screen. This 80s back­-to-­school film, starring Tyler Hoechlin (“Teen Wolf”), Blake Jenner (“Glee”) and Will Brittain (“A Teacher”), follows a team of college baseball players on a hilarious, soul searching, carefree weekend adventure before the start of their school year.

What is appealing about this film for college students is that the film will make you want to live in the now and enjoy the moments that come with being in college. The film raises questions asked when trying to construct one’s identity, such as: who are you and what does the future hold?

Although the film is set in the 80s, it outlines the struggles that many college students experience in today’s society.

“Just like with every new batch of college students, you have a bunch of people questioning the world and seeing it in a new way and I think that the beauty of college is that you’re introduced to the world on a larger scale with this safety net of academics and structure,” said Brittain. “That’s what these guys are doing in the film. They’re living in this bubble of their glory days and they’re sort of able to really examine the world around them.”

The film also emphasizes on the feeling of freedom that college and independence can bring, a common experience for anyone growing into their own.

“Going off to college and those first couple of days, it’s definitely that feeling of freedom and kind of realizing you’re on your own and it’s that first initial ‘Wow, I’m responsible for my own actions and the consequences are going to fall on me,’” said Hoechlin, “You also meet new people from different cultural backgrounds, so that’s something I think everyone can identify with and relate to as well.”

Jenner pointed out that while the film is about how each of the characters grow as people, they are able to stay united and go through the experience together.

“All the external things like the music, clothes and the haircuts, that all changes with time. But growing up and figuring out who you are and finding your niche within the world and within a group, that all stays the same. So I feel like that’s a big way that students can relate to this film,” Jenner said.

If you enjoy nostalgic, heartfelt films with a lot of laughs, check your local listings for showtimes, go grab some popcorn and some friends and watch “Everybody Wants Some!!”