Women’s golf closes season with victory

Burtland Dixon, Web and Social Media Manager

On April 22, CSUSM women’s golf came out victorious at the five-team California Collegiate Athletic Association’s Battle of the Bay at the Pacific Grove Golf Links between CSUSM, Sonoma State, Cal State Monterey Bay, Chico State and Cal State East Bay.

The Cougars shot 21 over par of 305 for the course, which was enough to secure the victory by five strokes. Cal State East Bay rounded out the field with 332, +48.

Freshman Joan Park has had a fruitful season and that continued with her third place finish with a 76 (+5).

Junior Taylor Coover who secured medalist honors along the way  (+1), “I wanted to end my college golf career on a positive note … It’s a great feeling knowing that you made your team and coaches proud and it was even better that my team and I were able to take first place as well,” said Coover.

The Cougars had three second place finishes in two months at the Cougar Invitational on Feb. 29 and March 1, Augustana Spring Field on March 18 and Sonoma State Spring Field on March 4 and 5. The 305 shot was the Cougars’ second lowest during the spring season and the lowest since March 1.

Now that the season has concluded, the Cougars have plenty to hang their hats as they proved to be solid contenders in their first season in the NCAA Division II.