The magic of Disney

Rebecca Sykes

Mickey’s Fun Wheel located in California Adventure Park lights up every night to awe guests with a beautiful sight.

Rebecca Sykes, Sports Writer

Disneyland ticket: $105. Disneyland Parking: $18. Mickey Mouse pretzel: $4.25. Making memories that will last a lifetime? Priceless.

Disneyland is known for being expensive, but it is also known for being the happiest place on earth. Whenever I go to Disneyland, I feel as if my stresses from life are lifted as I enter the worlds of Fantasy, Yesterday and Tomorrow.  

When I look at my Instagram feed, I see a lot of my fellow classmates posting pictures of themselves at Disneyland and California Adventure. We are all lucky enough to live less than two hours away from the theme parks. Especially with the option of an annual passport, college students have the opportunity to pay monthly fees for the annual pass. This helps students who are on a budget but who also want to enjoy the parks as well.

May 22, 2015 was the start of Disneyland Resort’s 60th celebration which has gotten a lot of attention from people all over the world. I renewed my pass in August 2015, and to this day crowds have not decreased the slightest bit. However, this has not ruined Disneyland’s fun, especially since there is a new parade called “Paint the Night”. Floats are filled with Disney’s beloved characters and are lit up with dazzling lights in an amazing display of color.   

Not only is there a new parade for the 60th celebration, rides have undergone some touch ups as well. As you sail in a pirate ship on Peter Pan’s Flight, you will notice the new lighting effects throughout the ride to Neverland. The Matterhorn had some of my favorite refurbishments. There is a new abominable snowman on the ride, and he definitely fits the part of a beast. He growls and glares with piercing red eyes. This definitely scared me the first time I saw him, and made the ride more exhilarating.

Walt Disney stated “Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world.” Although I agree with this wise man, I am disappointed in today’s Disney corporation for deciding to discontinue the Aladdin show held in California Adventure park. The Aladdin show has been running for 13 years and always continued to amaze guests. Each time I would see this incredible show, the Genie used  humor relevant to pop culture, which kept the show amusing to adult audience members. One of the most memorable parts of the show was when Aladdin and Jasmine sang “A Whole New World” as they flew above the audience on a magic carpet. I will never forget this show and Disney fans can agree, it will be missed; Disney is replacing Aladdin with a crowd-favorite Frozen show.

Every time I leave Disneyland, I am already planning my next trip there. The shows and the rides have yet to disappoint me. I know Walt Disney would be proud if he could see Disneyland today.