Cougars finish regular season strong at Steve Scott Invitational

Rebecca Sykes, Sports Writer

The Cougars competed at the Steve Scott Invitational, named after their head coach, on April 30.

It was an exciting invitational for the Cougars as they finished the regular season with two new school records, 14 personal records and more qualifiers for the California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA) Championships.

Graduating senior Charlotte Kuzminsky set a personal best and broke the CSUSM record in the 800m with a time of 2:11.25. Kuzminsky surpassed the 11 year-old record set by Bonghaih Shey in 2005 by 1.24 seconds.

The 800m is not the only school record Kuzminsky holds. In 2015, Kuzminsky set the outdoor record for the 1000m with a time for 2:55.97 and indoor record for the 1000m with a time of 2:53.98. Kuzminsky’s 800m time is the fifth-fastest in CCAA this year.

Another school record was set by sophomore Natalie Rodriguez in the 1500m event with a time of 4:31.75. Rodriguez broke Heidi Swanson’s 2014 record by 2.15 seconds.  

Rodriguez’s time for the 1500m is the fifth-fastest in the CCAA this year. Rodriguez is now provisionally qualified for NCAA Division II in the 1500m and 5000m events.

Sophomore Elizabeth Buckle ran her third-straight personal best this season in the 800m with a time of 2:13.07. In this race, she qualified for NCAA Division II provisional qualifiers.

The qualifications for CCAA Championships kept coming in when freshmen Lauren Wyckoff set a personal record of 12.70 in the 100m. Wyckoff set another personal record for the 200m with 25.65, and now holds the qualifying times for the 100m, 200m and 400m.

The events on the field started to heat up when junior Frederik Jahr placed second in the high jump with 2.00m. Jahr has placed in the top 2 four times this season.

Junior Josh Maffei continued the momentum for the field events with a personal record for the javelin throwing with 47.84m. Maffei qualified for CCAA championships in the javelin, adding to his qualifying events for discus and shot put.
Overall, there are 42 Cougars who are qualified for the CCAA championships. The conference meet starts Thursday, May 5 at Cal State Los Angeles.