Convergent Journalism course offered at CSUSM

CJRN course helps student journalists develop new skills

Jasmine Demers, Managing Editor

In fall 2015, Convergent Journalism (CJRN) 401 was added to the CSUSM course catalog as an option for students to learn more about journalism and media practice.

The class is open to CSUSM students who want to be involved with the campus publication, The Cougar Chronicle, and provides students with the opportunity to develop reporting, editorial and leadership skills. The course is a requirement for all core staff members of The Cougar Chronicle and provides them with training in many areas of media including print and web based news.

Kent Davy, CJRN instructor and Faculty Adviser for The Cougar Chronicle, explains the value of this class for students who want to pursue journalism or media as a career.

“The class is a practicum intended to put real world journalism basics to work at The Cougar Chronicle. Reporting, writing, editing and media law are fundamental tools that I hope CJRN students get in the class,” he said.

Katlin Sweeney, Editor-in-Chief of The Cougar Chronicle, has taken the course eight times throughout her college career and is greatly for everything that she has learned.

“Taking CJRN 401 has given me the opportunity to gain course credit while learning critical foundations in journalism practicum. Without this course, my writing would not have improved as much as it has,” said Sweeney.
Anyone who is interested in joining The Cougar Chronicle and taking CJRN 401 should contact Kent Davy or refer to the course catalog. The Cougar Chronicle is currently accepting applications for a variety of positions starting fall 2016. Any inquiries regarding these positions can be sent to [email protected].