Sports spotlight: Brandon Benston

Hannah Snider, Sports Writer

Hard work, determination and devotion to the sport and his teammates earned CSUSM baseball player Brandon Bentson the honor of Student-Athlete of the Year.

Bentson is a senior majoring in mass media and plans on pursuing baseball after graduating.

“I would like to try and find somewhere to play baseball, whether that’s in the major leagues or an independent league. If not, I would like to coach or do something in sports broadcasting or journalism,” he said.  

His love and passion for baseball began when he started playing at three years old.

“Growing up, my dad would always read the newspaper to me about what was going on with the Padres or even with high school teams in our area,” Bentson said. “I just loved it ever since … Baseball has always been my main sport.”

With Bentson’s enthusiasm for the sport and his inherent talent, it’s no wonder he was awarded Student-Athlete of the Year. As well as holding the title of all-time hit leader with a batting average of .331, he also started in all 44 games this season.

“He is a big part of our success. His leadership capabilities this year really were fantastic … Everyday he comes ready to play. He gives you everything he has,” Head Coach Dennis Pugh said. “He is our most valuable player.”

Bentson was incredibly grateful for being presented this award. When asked what his first thoughts were upon hearing this news, he said, “…Just blessed and very thankful for everyone who has helped me…and just very thankful to have the opportunity to play here.”

Out of his entire baseball career, Bentson said he is most proud of winning the Association of Independent Institutions conference last year and that they had the opportunity to play the number one team in the nation, Georgia Gwinnett, at National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics tournament.

“We weren’t expected to make the tournament or anything, but because we won that conference, we were able to advance and go to the next tournament…it showed that it doesn’t matter who has the better stats as long as you have a good group of guys who stay together you have a good chance of winning,” Bentson said.  

Along Bentson’s successful baseball career, there are many people he credits his success to.

“Definitely Coach Pugh… giving me the chance to play at a four-year university is an unreal opportunity,” Bentson said. ”[And] my parents, my grandma going to every game possible, keeping score, supporting me through my ups and downs. Most importantly my teammates … I would not be able to do any of this without them pushing me and helping me, and staying together as a team working towards the goal of winning a championship.”
Brandon Bentson embodies the heart and soul of what it means to be a Cougar at CSUSM.