Graduating Latina Leaders

Bella Gutierrez & Maria Gutierrez

Bella Gutierrez (left) & Maria Gutierrez (right)

Katlin Sweeney, Editor-in-Chief

Monet Valdez

Major: Political Science

Years spent at CSUSM: Three

Involvement/Employment: Pre­Law Society, National Latino Research Center, Latin@ Center, Community Legal Project

Plans after graduation: “I am taking the LSAT this summer and submitting applications to law school in the fall. In other words, more school.”

Greatest accomplishment: “Making it to the end! Wooo, class of 2016!”

Valdez would like to thank: “My oldest brother, Sal. I couldn’t always afford textbooks, and I definitely couldn’t afford an LSAT prep course. He’s always been there to lend unconditional help. Second, Dr. Stacy Beavers was the first professor (at the time) here at CSUSM and in my entire college career to make me believe that I could do something big. She made me feel like I could be selling myself short if I didn’t do something big. Last, but certainly not least of all, Maria Mendoza-­Bautista. For those of us who are lucky enough to know her, we have a little bit of magic in our lives. Thank you for everything!”

Bella Gutierrez

Major: Mass Media

Years spent at CSUSM: Two

Involvement/Employment: Faculty Mentoring Program, Latin@ Center and Gender Equity Center

Plans after graduation: “I will possibly be coming back for my master’s degree.”

Greatest accomplishment: “I am graduating within two years after I transferred… I made it to graduation within the expected time.”

Gutierrez would like to thank: “My parents for inspiring me to achieve my goals and for their unconstitutional love, my sisters for always being there and loving me so much, my professors and [the] staff at CSUSM for making my college experience a great one!”

Maria Gutierrez

Major: Mass Media

Years spent at CSUSM: Two

Involvement/Employment: Peer Coach at the Latin@ Center

Plans after graduation: “I would like to be able to work in production and also do community work.”

Greatest accomplishment: “My greatest accomplishment would be graduating, but I am leaving with so many memories. It is a bittersweet feeling to be leaving CSUSM.”

Gutierrez would like to thank: “My family and my boyfriend for proofreading my papers as well as listening to me when I was stressed. Also, my sister Bella because she has gone through this journey with me and always kept me laughing.”