Paulina Good recognized for her four year contribution to athletics

Lex Garcia, Assistant Features Editor

Senior soccer player, Paulina Good, received the honor of CSUSM Student­-Athlete of the Year in recognition of her valuable contributions to the soccer team and the athletic department this year.

“Yes receiving the award is amazing but it really just is a huge thank you to my parents and to my supporters who pushed me to play and get better at soccer,” Good said. “It means a lot to me because I have worked really hard and it will be something to remember in as my career here gets ready to end.”

“Coming into college as a freshman, it was hard for me, and still was throughout every year. It was workout, school, then go to practice, and then go home and do homework,” Good said.

“Sometimes I felt extremely pressured and overwhelmed, but my family was there to motivate me to continue doing what I loved, and that was playing soccer.”

Throughout Good’s career there are highlights from each season that show how good of a player she really is. In her freshman year of college she started seven games, and made her first goal in a match on Sept. 8, 2012 against Fresno Pacific.

During the 2014 season she led the team with six goals during her sophomore season.

In the 2014 season, Good was named National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics’ (NAIA) All­-America Honorable Mention, Association of Independent Institutions’ (A.I.I.) Player of the Year and the All­-A.I.I First Team Award. During the her junior year she once again led the team with seven goals.

Now going into her final season, Paulina Good has led the team with 25 shots, received the A.I.I Honorable Mention and scored a victory shot in a match against Cal State Dominguez Hills. Wrapping up her career at CSUSM, she was placed in the “All-­Time­-Top-­10” list.

“These girls have become my family. I know that with my team I will always have someone to count on. I have definitely made friends for a lifetime.”

After graduation, Good plans on taking a break from soccer to focus on furthering her education. “Yes, if I can play here and there that is awesome, but I don’t think I can see soccer as being my career. I want to hopefully go to grad school in Hawaii and study my passion for marine science.”

Paulina Good shared advice to the next athlete to hold the title. “Do not make being Athlete of the Year consume you because, where is the fun in that? Enjoy the experience and the time and let the award simply come to you.”