The heat is on

CSUSM Surf Club holds tryouts

Hannah Snider, Club Sports Reporter

On Sept. 18, the CSUSM Surf Club held tryouts for the upcoming surf season at Crosswaithe Street beach in Oceanside. Each contestant surfed three heats, accumulating points as they advanced.

There were seventeen spots available. The men’s top twelve short-boarders, the women’s top three and the top two longboarders overall would earn a place in the club. Twenty-eight students showed up ready to surf with hopes of claiming a spot.  

Matthew Meyers, a transfer student from Palomar, has been surfing since the age of six. In hopes of earning a place in the surf club, Meyers said he also wants to continue to surf with the surfing community after tryouts.

“[I hope] to earn a spot on the Cal State San Marcos Surf Club and to better connect myself with the surfing community here at Cal State,” said Meyers.

According to the Head Advisor Professor Puha, Shane Fregberger is already a standout freshmen.

Fregberger, who has been surfing for eight years, said he was “[excited to] meet all the new people and the team … and to just have fun.”

Colton Tisch, the surf team’s President, said he hoped tryouts would be a good way for everyone to get to know each other and start building strong bonds as well as recruiting some fresh talent.

“I want everyone to get to know each other … start the foundation of the family because everyone hangs out all the time and also to stack the team pretty good. I think there’s a little bit more talent than last year and I am excited about it.”

Professor Puha’s main goal is to support the club and the club officers. With some of the new talent at the tryouts, Professor Puha said she is looking forward to the upcoming season.

“Overall the quality of the surfing this year is looking fantastic. I think it really bodes well for the club this season,” Puha said.

Puha also hopes for the incoming freshmen to bond with their fellow students through surfing and feel apart of the club.

“It is an awesome opportunity as a surfer to get involved, to connect with other people who share their interests and to also make them feel like part of the campus community.”

Returning Senior Grace Marshall is one of the women’s short-boarders. She wants to continually improve for the upcoming year. “Personally I want to move up in my ranking and for the team ‒ the same thing. We have the potential … I honestly love just meeting everyone here whether they make the team or not. Making new friends who surf is always fun.”

With some fresh new faces as well as some old pros, this upcoming season will be great for the Surf Club. Tryouts were a perfect way to start the new surf season.