HAPPY HOUR OF THE WEEK: THE 55 YARD LINE

BEN DEARINGER

Interested in a place where you get some great deals on food and drinks no matter what night of the week it is? Just drive over to the historic Old California Restaurant Row, to The 55 Yardline, located within two miles from campus on San Marcos Boulevard.
This local North County bar and grill has been open since 2003 and is the perfect place to grab a beer, watch a game, play some pool or even play some electronic golf on their classic Golden Tee arcade game. The 55 Yardline offers a large variety of breakfast, lunch and dinner options, but the happy hour specials draw in the massive crowds.
Every day, the bar has something for everyone (Sorry, there is no happy hour on Friday through Sunday, although the bar still offers drink specials). Happy hour is offered from 4 p.m. – 7 p.m., and the specials range from $2.75 for a pint of a delicious domestic brew on Mondays to $3 for any Mexican beer on Tuesdays. Thursday is college night, and it is a perfect place to go for those who are short on cash. They offer any well drink or domestic draft for only $2.75. But wait, there’s more, The 55 Yardline has something to offer trivia buffs as well. Wednesday nights, starting directly after happy hour, the bar has a trivia competition that anyone can enter. Play as a team or individually, it doesn’t matter! The bar offers prizes to the top three places. First place receives a $45 gift certificate for their next visit, second place receives $25 and third place receives $10. So why not test your knowledge in categories such as geography, pop culture, science, politics and other categories?
Not a trivia whiz? Do not fret, The 55 Yardline has over 24 TVs and televises almost every sporting event. This is the place to be for all your different sport watching cravings, such as the NFL’s Super Bowl XLV, basketball, soccer or UFC. Make sure to arrive early because seating is fairly limited. Sports memorabilia covers the dimly lit sports bar from floor to ceiling and takes anyone back throughout the history of San Diego sports culture.
So if you are stuck in North County on a weekday night, you don’t have much cash to spend, and you are looking for a great time, head over to The 55 Yardline. Sorry to those of you who are not 21 yet; staff checks identification at the door as soon as happy hour begins. Though, you may still go early to practice shooting pool or to just watch a game.
Located at 1020 W. San Marcos Blvd., St. 114, San Marcos, CA 92078. (760) 744-1960. Open until 1 a.m. daily.