Cougars win fourth straight at home against Broncos

Dean Martin, Sports Reporter

The Cougars hosted Cal Poly Pomona on Friday, Oct. 14, in a California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA) conference meeting, defeating the Broncos in four sets, three sets to one.

Freshman Madi Anderson and senior Brooke Butler both contributed 12 kills. Sophomore Lauren Lee added another 11 kills, seven digs and four block assists. Freshmen Aleese Wheaton added to her double-double collection by contributing 41 assists and 14 digs. Defensively, junior Samantha Flores led the way with 18 digs.

The Cougars started the match sluggishly but quickly turned it around. With a score of 11-11, the Cougars pulled ahead to a 15-11 score and eventually finished out the set with a score of 25-20. Butler contributed five kills in the opening set and Wheaton added 12 assists.

The Cougars handed the second set to the Broncos by committing a game-high-nine error. The Broncos took advantage of the errors by the Cougars and took the set, 25-21. Anderson and Butler added three kills each while Wheaton contributed 10 assists. The Broncos also won the battle at the net in the second set with four blocks while the Cougars tallied none.

The third set displayed the Cougar’s determination. The Broncos came into the match without a CCAA conference win, but played as if they were a top-seeded team. Despite the challenge, the Cougars came from behind and eventually took the set, 25-22. Anderson contributed five kills and sophomore Haley Montgomery added five digs.

The Broncos opened the fourth and final set with back-to-back blocks but the Cougars kept their foot on the pedal and took the set, 25-17. Lee and Montgomery added three kills each and Flores added eight digs. The Cougars only committed six errors to the Broncos 10.

Six of the next eight games are against teams above .500 and CSUSM Head Coach Andrea Leonard said she’s ready for the challenge.

“What a great opportunity for us ‒ to play teams that play that high level of volleyball,” said Coach Leonard. “If we execute our system, everyone is doing their job and finishing the plays, then the outcomes should take care of themselves.”

The Cougars play the Cal State L.A. Golden Eagles on Oct. 18 and are the only team, thus far, to defeat the Cougars at home.

Lee said she is looking forward for this opportunity to return the favor on the Golden Eagles home court.

“They are sort of our rivalry team, especially coming in and them beating us at home.”

With the win, the Cougars improved to 5-4 in the CCAA conference standings with an overall record of 12-6. The Cougars will finish the season with five of their last eight games on the road.