New spirits for our campus

Micaela Johansson, Assistant Opinion Editor

CSUSM’s new cheerleading club is kicking off their season cheering at basketball games with stunts, dance routines and tumbles. With positive responses from both the teams and spectators, cheer’s future looks bright.

The cheerleaders plan on bringing attention to the Cougar name at the USA National Championship. On March 24-26 in Anaheim, Calif.,, the team will be competing against hundreds of other College teams for a national title.

The practice and preparation for the competition has already begun, and is a full-time dedication for the team who practice 2-3 hours every other day.

“It’s a lot of commitment to be in cheer,” said Desiree Godinez, one of the founders of the cheer team.

After a yearlong process of paperwork for Monique Lazaro, Desiree Godinez, Brittany Ward and Kassandra Estrada, the four founders could finally bring cheerleading to our campus.

“Our school needed it; our school needed spirit and unity” said Lazaro.

Plus with the new construction of the Sports Center, the timing was perfect.

The cheer team is present at all women’s and men’s basketball games, and they also cheer for other CSUSM teams, events around the community, and competitions.

CSUSM’s cheer team has currently 26 members with both men and women. They work towards the goal of leaving a lasting mark on our campus and are committed to create an excellent cheerleading team.

Even though some members including Lazaro are graduating this Spring, the team looks forward to the future of the cheerleading team, and new tryouts will take place in May, time and place TBD.

CSUSM Cheerleading squad is a student-run and student-funded club, and you can follow them on social media @CSUSMcheer. GO COUGARS.