CHABSS searches for new dean

Stephany Mejia, News Editor

The College of Humanities, Arts, Behavioral Social Science (CHABSS) hosted open forums for the nominated candidates for the position of dean.

Three candidates were selected and each one of them had its own 45-minute open forum. The three candidates are Dr. Larry Butler, Dr. Krystyna Aune and Dr. Julia Johnson.

On Feb. 15 from 9 a.m. to 9:45 a.m. at Kellogg 5400, Aune’s forum was held where she gave a presentation and answered questions. Aune has a doctorate in communications and a minor in psychology from the University of Arizona.

Aune has been working at the University of Hawai’i since 1991. She took the position of Dean of Graduate Education in 2014.

In 2004, Aune was awarded the Regents Medal for Excellence in Teaching, which is an award from the University of Hawai’i to tribute faculty members. Aune is the daughter of Polish immigrants and first generation college student.

Approximately 35 faculty members and one student attended the forum. Junior Monique Barthes, a student of communications, asked Aune how she would get to know students.

“I would love to get to know students. I care passionately about students and programming that will help students success initiative. Getting to know students is being present, available and accessible, however possible,” said Aune.

Butler’s forum occurred on Feb. 14 at 9:15 a.m. to 10 a.m. He has a doctorate in politics from Princeton University and a masters degree in economics from George Mason University.

Butler has been the Associate Dean of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHSS) and political science professor at Rowan University in New Jersey. He has worked as an analyst for United States government and the U.S negotiations team.

Johnson’s forum was held on Feb. 16 from 10 a.m to 10:45 a.m in Kellogg 5400. Johnson has a doctorate in communications studies from the University of Massachusetts. She has worked  at the University of Wisconsin La Crosse (UWL) since 2011 and has been the Dean of the College of Liberal Studies since 2015.