Pride Center informs students about the LGBTQ community

Micaela Johansson, Assistant Opinion Editor

Students and faculty attended this semester’s first SafeZone Educational Training on Tuesday Feb. 14 between 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in order to gain a better understanding of the LGBTQA+ community.

Participants watched an introductory video and were part of the discussion and activities to gain a better understanding of sexual orientations and labels put on one another. The idea is to make sure everyone on campus will feel seen, heard and safe.

Robert Aiello-Hauser, Director of Student Engagement & Inclusion, led the training and gave participants a chance to learn basics about the LGBTQ community including vocabulary, life experiences, desires and how to be a supporter to the community. These workshops are hosted by the LGBTQA+ Pride Center three times per semester.

Freshman Kellie Imlay attended the event to learn about what makes a safe zone.

“I learned that many people on our campus aren’t educated about the LGBTQ community,” said Imlay after the event.

For faculty and staff it is important knowledge that will help them serve the students here at CSUSM. It is also imperative that we create safer spaces for all students to be comfortable in who they are in order to excel in academia,” said Aiello-Hauser

Students, faculty and staff can sign up for upcoming trainings sessions through their website accessed via csusm.edu. The next SafeZone Educational workshop takes place at the USU 2310 on March 17.