Speaking the Language of Love on Valentine’s Day

Show Love. Share Love

Cesia Cano, Staff Writer

The Associated Student Inc. (ASI) organized the Show Love. Share Love event to promote Valentine’s Day and inform students on the five languages of love.

The event was held on Feb. 14 at 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Forum Plaza. Students had the opportunity to stop at different tables to learn more about each of the five languages of love which were incorporated through fun activities, games and information pamphlets.

The event consisted of five booths, each one of them represented a different language of love. Each booth had its own title such as words of affirmation, quality time, receiving gifts, acts of service and physical touch.

The words of affirmation booth, demonstrated the value of words and the impact they have on others. Students were encouraged to express kind words through thank you and Valentine’s Day cards that were handed out by ASI, to facilitate sharing words of affirmation with a friend or significant other.

In the quality time booth, students had the chance to create a coupon book that encourages setting time apart from a busy schedule and spending time with important people in life. The focus of the language is to give the other person undivided attention and devote time to build a stronger relationship and friendship.

The physical touch booth focused on appropriate touch, reminding people that physical touch of any kind must be with consent and if at any moment one feels uncomfortable one has the right to reject it.

This Valentine’s Day event focused not only on romance, but the value of friendship and the importance of self-love.

“I hope people can understand love in a different light, to be excited about this day,” ASI Program Specialist, Savannah Ballard said, “I hope this [event] serves as a positive outlet for Valentine’s Day.”

An extension of community centers collaborated with ASI for the event. The North County Health Services (NCHS) informed students of their assistance with medical, dental, women’s health and family planning services. Center for Community Solution attended to promote support for survivors of sexual assault, domestic violence, and stalking.

The Student Health and Counseling Services’ (SHCS) table promoted safe sex, safe relationships, and affirmative consent. They also provided information on domestic violence, and self-care. For more information on SHCS visit their website www.csusm.edu/shcs

For more information on NCHS visit, nchs-health.org or for Center of Community Solution visit, [email protected].