Intramurals brought to you by Campus REC

Nic Pollino, Sports Reporter

The Spring 2017 intramural season is about to begin. This semester Campus REC is providing many sports such as Speed Soccer, Volleyball, 5v5 Basketball, 3v3 Basketball, Futsal, Softball and Flag Football.

All these sports are co-rec, except basketball, giving men and women athletes the opportunity to compete together.

Sign-ups for Speed Soccer have passed, games will be played on Saturdays from Feb. 18 until Apr. 8 on the Lower Field at CSUSM.

Volleyball sign-ups were extended until Feb. 20, which is also the first game of the season. Games will take place on Monday’s and Wednesday’s at the Clarke Field House Gym until March 29.

The 5v5 Basketball league has unfortunately closed registration, but the games will take place from Feb. 21 until Apr. 6 on Tuesdays through Thursdays in the new Sports Center.

To put a highlight on the Fall 2016 intramural season, the winning teams from CSUSM for Flag Football and co-rec Softball leagues, went onto an extramural tournament in San Diego.

In this tournament the representing teams from CSUSM competed against San Diego State University, University of San Diego and University of California San Diego. The Flag Football and Softball teams both came out victorious for the first time since this extramural tournament was created.

CSUSM’s Flag Football team also participated in another extramural tournament at Arizona State University this last November. Although they did not win the tournament, Quarterback Tyler Kist said, “It was an experience of a lifetime and I am very thankful that Campus REC provides such great opportunities through intramural sports.”

For more information on sign-up dates, visit the CSUSM website under Campus REC or visit The Clarke Field House.