A shirt to represent a survivor

Stephany Mejia, News Editor

The Student Health and Counseling Center (SHCS) hosted the Clothesline Project on April 18 from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Kellogg Plaza.

The event created an opportunity for students to learn about sexual assault awareness. Students learned about being compassionate and listening to the survivors.

Students had the opportunity to decorate shirts, each representing the different forms of abuse and if they survived. White represented women who died from violence. Yellow or beige from battery or assault. Red, pink and orange form rape and sexual assault. Blue or green survivors of incest and sexual assault. An attack upon sexual orientation was represented with purple or lavender. Black for political reasons.

Sexual Violence Advocate, Christa Wencl attended the event. She said she thinks such events can create social change and a culture in which survivors are not blamed.

Wencl encourages to be informed and take action. The event can create visibility to the issue and people can feel safer, said Wencl.

“I think we can all be part of the solution. Everybody can do something. Whether that is listening to a friend or showing up at an event or learn something new about sexual violence. That all creates social change,” said Wencl.

Freshman, Leslie Lucas participated in the event. She decorated a black t-shirt representing political abuse. Lucas picked that color because she said she thinks people shame others for their political views. She encourages students to participate to learn about the experiences of others.

For more information, visit the SHCS located next to Parking Structure 1.