Celebrate your graduation with style

Mackenzie Waldron, Assistant Features Editor

Congratulations to the class of 2017, you did it!  If you are looking for a fun way to celebrate this exciting milestone with family and friends, I have some perfect DIY graduation party ideas for you.

Graduation is an exciting and important event. You should celebrate both your college experience and your future plans with your family and friends.

A graduation happy hour is the perfect way to celebrate this occasion. This will allow guests to come and go as they please and still have a good time.

You can get creative with a happy hour by placing snacks and drinks across a bar table, and label the food with school-themed words. For example, you could label a bowl of gummy worms as “bookworms” or a bowl of Kit-Kats as “study breaks.”

Another DIY graduation party decoration is an advice jar. All you need is a large mason jar and a sharpie to write, “Words of Wisdom”. Guests can then write down their advice or a compliment.

A nice way to commemorate your college experience is to place pictures of yourself throughout the years on the strings of balloons so that guests can enjoy your favorite memories.

There are also fun activities that you can host to entertain guests at your party. For example, you can break out the karaoke machine or take photos in a DIY photo booth.

All you need for the DIY photo booth is a large poster board, scissors and a sharpie.  First, cut a square out of your poster board that is big enough to fit at least two or three people.

Then, with the sharpie you can write, “Class of 2017” at the bottom. This will give the effect of a large polaroid picture.

All of these ideas can also be applied to a graduation brunch.  This is also a nice way to celebrate this occasion, especially if you are hosting a kid-friendly party.

Most importantly, remember to have fun and to take it in every moment while you’re commemorating your CSUSM experience.

*****

Who: graduating senior

What: graduation party

When: After graduation Spring 2017

Where: Comfort of own home

Why: Celebrate achievements

How: DYI rules

Future: Celebrating next steps

Reason: Four or more years of hard work

Impact: Graduates, friends and family honor achievement

Scope: Many graduating seniors hold celebrations

Countermove: Some don’t quite get senior year done; walk now graduate later

History: ??? Last four years of work

Mackenzie Waldron

Byline: Assistant Features Editor

Section: Student Features

Assignment: DIY Graduation Party

Headline: Celebrate your graduation with style

Subline: n/a

Word Count: 391

Congratulations to the class of 2017, you did it!  If you are looking for a fun way to celebrate this exciting milestone with your family and friends, I have some perfect DIY graduation party ideas for you.

My folks are hosting a party for my sister, who is graduating this semester. The event will be “happy hour” party later this month in our San Marcos backyard.

My dad will haul his stereo to the patio to flood the air with ‘80s pop and rock — Erasure, Madonna and Michael Jackson are some of his favorites.

On the picnic table under the bright, white sail, my mom will probably serve lumpia (a favorite Filipino treat that is like an eggroll), hamburgers and pitchers of Sangria.

My sister will be celebrating both the success of the last four years and her admission to USD to pursue master’s degree in social innovation with family and friends.

You can get creative with happy hour ideas.

For instance, you could place snacks and drinks across a bar table and label the food with school-themed words. A bowl of Gummy Worms could be labeled “Bookworms”; a bowl of Kit-Kats could be “Study Breaks”; or, jalapeno poppers could be styled “Pop Quizzes.”

A DIY graduation party decoration could be an advice jar. All you need is a large mason jar, note cards and a Sharpie to write, “Words of Wisdom.” Guests can then write down their advice or a compliment.

A nice way to commemorate your college experience is to place photographs on the strings of balloons to show off your favorite memories.

Think about entertainment. Maybe break out the karaoke machine or take photos in a DIY photo booth.

All you need for the DIY photo booth is a large poster board, scissors, and a Sharpie. First, cut a square out of your poster board that is big enough to fit at least two or three people.

Then, with the sharpie you can write, “Class of 2017” at the bottom. This will give the effect of a large Polaroid picture.

All of these ideas can also be applied to a graduation brunch.

Pancakes, eggs and bacon could be a great menu — especially if you are hosting a kid-friendly party.