The independent student news site of California

Women’s Volleyball snap three game losing streak with back-to-back wins at home

Outside hitter Micah Hébert spikes the ball right through Chico State’s defense, scoring for CSUSM.

Marisa Benavides

Marisa Benavides

Michael Drentea, Assistant Sports Editor

The CSUSM (5-6) women’s volleyball team had a three-game losing streak  with a 1-3 loss to cross-town rivals UC San Diego (7-2) Tritons. However, came back victorious against Chico State (3-2) with a final score of 3-1 on Sept. 23 at 7 p.m. in the Sports Center and again on Sept. 24 at 7 p.m against an 0-11 Stanislaus State.

California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA) South Division first place Tritons struck early as the Cougars continued to battle in front of a crowd of 167 at Rimac Arena, Sept. 16 in La Jolla, CA.

UC San Diego won the first period 25-17 uncontested, but the Cougars came back in period two to hold off the Tritons 26-24.

The game got interesting in the third period as the Cougars came back to tie 25-25 with a chance to split the game, but ultimately fell 25-27 moments later. The Cougars ran out of gas in the fourth period as the Tritons dominated 25-18 for the easy win.

The Cougars suffered additional losses from Chaminade and Seattle Pacific earlier in the season, and now with recent back-to-back wins at home against Chico State and Stanislaus State, the Cougars have bounced back to snap a three-game losing streak.

6’0 outside hitter Taylor Dixon led the Cougars with 13 kills and three blocks along with 6’2 outside hitter/middle blocker Maddy Newcombe with 10 kills, one ace, and 6’1 middle blocker, Faith Fortune had an impressive nine kills and eight blocks. Libero/outside hitter Grecia Codero-Barr recorded 33 digs against UC San Diego.

The Cougars (5-6) fourth place overall in the CCAA South Division are looking for road wins against Cal Poly Pomona (6-6) on Sept. 29 at 7 p.m. and against Cal State San Bernardino (7-5) on Sept. 30.