The importance of Mental Health in San Marcos

Angie Pena

During U-hour on National Depression Screening Day, CSUSM student, Jessica Cortez, listens to student volunteers explain tips for managing stress and the importance of understanding our ever-changing moods.

Pamela Gomez, News Reporter

On Oct. 5, the Student Health and Counseling Center provided a “What’s your mood? National Depression Screening Day” at the USU Arcade that emphasized the importance of mental health and how Cal State San Marcos staff can reach out to students.

Student Maria Linares works for the health center. She shared important information to other students attending the event.  Linares represents the Active Minds organization on campus run by students.

We want “students to be acquaintances.” Linares said. Active Minds wants students to understand what good mental health means and how they can help with students’ personal problems and dealing with stress.

This “event doesn’t have to be for everyone with a mental disorder” she said.

Some of the resources in the center provides are different support groups with various themes which change every semester depending on current events. Some include mindfulness, combatting sexual violence and supporting the LGBTQ community. There is also one-on-one counseling which accepts walk-ins. These services are free and accessible for all.

To make an appointment, call the center at (760) 750-4915 or email at [email protected].

If you or someone you know are struggling with mental health visit the health center to speak to a counselor.