Gender Equity Center’s ‘T’ with me

Student+participants+during+the+%E2%80%9DT%E2%80%9D+with+Me+event+held+by+Gender+Equity+center+on+Oct.+3.+

Micaela Johansson

Student participants during the ”T” with Me event held by Gender Equity center on Oct. 3.

Tyler Abrahams, Assistant News Editor

Ideas are being exchanged everyday on CSUSM and the Gender Equity Center is doing their part assisting with the discourse.

On Tuesday Oct. 3, the Gender Equity Center hosted “T” With me at U-hour lead by Itiyah Bat Yahweh, Sociology major. The center had a table with sandwiches, vegetables, and of course tea. While students came in, they got a plate, some food and a small piece of paper to write their topic of conversation on. Once they wrote down their topic, the paper was folded so the topics would be presented anonymously.

Five minutes into U-hour Bat Yahwen collected the small folded papers and got the topics started. The first topic to start ‘T’ with me: What goes on in a person’s mind during a mass shooting? The room was silent for a moment. Bat Yahwen attempted to start the discussion, but the room remained quiet. They moved onto the next topic.

The topics students wrote down ranged from the benefits of being vegetarian, what does it mean to be human, dealing with a controlling partner, to how to getting involved and meet new people.

Some topics were talked about in greater length, such as what should you do about an over controlling partner? Students suggested starting with self reflection, saying it was important to understand what you believe is crossing the line. Then communicate with your partner about how you feel. The room agreed that if no change occurs, it is best to move on.

By the time U-hour had ended every topic had been opened and given the opportunity to be discussed.  Student Health and Counseling Services Psychologist Tamara Savage, was present in case anyone wanted to speak further on a topic.

The Gender Equity Center will be hosting two more ‘T’ with me events at U-hour on Oct. 31 and Nov. 14 in USU 3200.