Cougars beat Cal State Dominguez Hills and Humboldt State!

Marisa Benavides

CSUSM’s volleyball team celebrates a 3-0 victory against Cal State Dominguez Hills.

Michael Drentea, Assistant Sports Editor

The CSUSM’s women’s volleyball team moved to 8-7 overall by beating Cal State Dominguez Hills (7-9 overall) at the CSUSM Sports Center in a 3-set sweep in California Collegiate Athletic Association play Oct. 3.

The Cougars quickly put up points in all three sets to post the win against the Toros. Junior outside hitter Courtney Hulla and sophomore middle blocker Maddy Newcombe led the squad with 12 kills each to help the sweep against Cal State Dominguez Hills. The final scores were 25-18, 25-17 and 25-18.

CSUSM dominated the game against the Toros (2-3 CCAA) with help of junior Faith Fortuné who battled hard for a total of four blocks. Newcombe earned an .733 attack percentage with 12 kills within 15 attempts and one error. Hulla recorded a .313 attack percentage in 32 attempts with two errors.

Sophomore setter Aleese Wheaton helped the Cougars with 22 assists and a game-high 14 digs, while freshman libero Grecia Cordero-Barr had 13 digs. Junior defensive specialist Haley Montgomery had 10 digs.

The Cougars took an early lead and never trailed during the matchup with the Toros.

In the third and final set, the Cougars led by as much as eight points, but the Toros closed within five points but couldn’t manage to win.

The Toros setter Rylee Kiger had 14 assists and 13 digs for her sixth double-double of the season, but it wasn’t enough.

The Cougars (5-2 CCAA) are currently in third place in the CCAA (South Division) with the Oct. 7 win 3-0 (25-25, 25-18, 25-16) against the Humboldt State Lumberjacks. The Cougars were led by Madi Anderson’s 10 kills followed by 8 kills each by Micah Hebert and Hulla.