CHABSS acknowledges students’ academic success

Illustration by Laura Romero

Illustration by Laura Romero

Dylan McCall, Assistant Entertainment Editor

On Feb. 15 at 3 p.m., the College of Humanities, Arts, Behavioral and Social Sciences (CHABSS) hosted their fall 2017 semester Dean’s List Mixer in the Social and Behavioral Sciences Building (SBSB) 4111.

The Dean’s List Mixer is an informal opportunity for students excelling academically, a 3.5 GPA or higher, to connect with fellow classmates and meet with the dean and staff of CHABSS. CHABSS Dean Julia R. Johnson sent students via email the dean’s list letter during the winter break. Later students received their invitations to the event and another congratulations upon making the dean’s list.

A dean’s list is a collection or list of students who are recognized for achieving high academic standards either in high school, college or university.

The celebration began with CHABSS acknowledges students’ academic success CHABSS’ Director of Stu- dent Success Leo Melena welcoming and congratulating everyone on a job well done for making the dean’s list. Associate Dean, Martha Stoddard Holmes, presented on behalf of Dean Johnson who was unable to attend. Student’s were given a stu- dent scavenger hunt which they could complete to win prizes, like a CSUSM handbag, bookbag or planner and met people around them.

This event was driven entirely on getting to know one’s fellow dean’s list members. Students participating in the scavenger hunt asked each other about their majors, birthdays and overall background in an effort to find people who met their scavenger criteria. Each participant had to sign their name under the corresponding criteria after confirming they were one out of the 20 questions provided.

Some examples include; majoring in psychology, commuting 30 or more minutes to school, working full-time or any other answer to the remaining 17 questions.

“[Our goal] is to connect students across majors…and celebrate the amazing work they’ve done,” said Holmes. “Students deserve to feel amazing, but we don’t appreciate our own efforts enough. This is a great moment to be acknowledged…the dean has recognized you.”

When asked how students could make the dean’s list and succeed in life, Holmes- said “you also have to think about opening to the reality that you can do anything as long as you get the support provided…think about your mistakes as growing experiences.”

Holmes also wanted students to know exactly how the dean’s office views their academic achievements. She said, “we notice, we know… you did a lot more than not flunking. We are really really proud of you.” Students were asked to fill out thank you letters to those who helped them succeed or write to incoming CHABSS students.

For more information on CSUSM CHABSS visit http://www.csusm.edu/chabss/index.html or their office, located in SBSB 4115.