Students learn the importance of Brazilian carnival

Attendees eat fruit cocktails and craft masks in the Latin@ Center on Feb. 15.

Attendees eat fruit cocktails and craft masks in the [email protected] Center on Feb. 15.

Angelica Pena

Angelica Pena

Adrianna Adame, Assistant News Editor

On Feb. 15 at 12 p.m., the [email protected] Center held a Carnival of Brazil Festival, originally a five-day Lent celebration. During this celebration, people don’t eat meat. In many cities in Brazil, this festival fills the streets with parades of people in extravagant costumes, samba music and street block parties. Bright colors and loud music fill the streets. Other places in the world celebrate this tradition in various ways.

The annual Brazilian Carnival was held Feb. 9 through 14, ending on Ash Wednesday. The [email protected] Center shared and informed students about the culture.

Students lined up for a sweet treat of a yogurt parfait with berries. Everyone respected the event by not consuming any meat once seated. The tables were covered with fake jewels and feathers to make colorful glamorous masks. The center’s staff presented a brief history about the Carnival of Brazil along with a video clip of the festival in Brazil.

After the presentation, students decorated masks and interacted with each other. Some sat with people they already knew, but many students got to meet new people who they weren’t familiar with. Portuguese samba music played in the background.

A staff member of the center who took Polaroids of anyone who wanted a picture to keep as a momento.

Michelle Wood, a participant of the festival said she thought that it was “good to learn from other cultures and traditions.” She said that she enjoyed “tasting the fruit, watching the traditional video and [creating] a keepsake.”

Many students who came to the event took home a mask that they had decorated in their own styles.

Mireya Juarez, a student who also participated in the festival, said that the event was especially “relaxing as a physics major.” She said she thought that it was a great way to meet people since she normally is dealing with a lot of work, and doesn’t have much free time. Juarez said her favorite part of the event was “being able to have time to relax, not working on physics.”

This event also allowed students such as Juarez to take some time away from the stress of school.