DÉJÀ VU AT CSUSM BASEBALL FIELD

Omahen Walk-Off Highlights Sweep of SD Christian

KYLE TREMBLEY
PRIDE STAFF WRITER

We’re only two weeks into the 2011 baseball season, but Cal State San Marcos fans may already be experiencing déjà vu after senior shortstop Johnny Omahen’s second walk-off base hit this season capped off a double-header sweep of San Diego Christian.

The Cougars won game one 5-3 and took game two 8-7. CSUSM is now 6-1 on the season, while San Diego Christian drops to 0-3.

The game two score was identical to that of the team’s opening day win over Vanguard. In that game – the first ever at CSUSM Baseball Field –the Cougars held a lead for most of the contest, lost it late, but rallied in the final inning to overcome a deficit and win it on a two-strike base hit by Omahen to right field.

Saturday’s second game followed the same script, though that doesn’t make it any less sweet for the team or the large crowd of fans that showed up to cheer them on.

Brett Miller gave the team a solid effort on the mound, going four innings and allowing three runs. Kyle Smart and Omahen finished the game on the mound, and were victimized by three errors in a two-play span that opened the door for San Diego Christian in the 7th.

CSUSM had actually held a 5-0 lead early on, and appeared to be cruising for most of the contest. A five-run second inning started with one-out singles by Abraham Torres and Marco Arellano, a walk by Trent Jemmett, and a big two-RBI base hit by Austin Coleman. Kevin Silvett followed that up with an RBI double, and San Diego Christian threw the ball away after the play to let Coleman score.

But CSUSM found itself down 7-6 in the seventh and final frame, and the lineup once again had to rise to the occasion to secure the victory. Kyle Secciani drew a big one-out walk to get things going, after stealing second, Anthony Renteria crushed a ball to right center. While it would have been out at many fields, it hit off the wall in the Cougars’s new ballpark, but still tied the game. Corey McCloskey pinch ran for Renteria, advanced to third on a wild pitch, and trotted home when Omahen drove a clean-single into right field on a 3-2 count to end the game.

This all came after the Cougars enacted another comeback – albeit a less dramatic one – in game one of the double-header. In that contest, starting pitcher Matt Kretchmer labored a bit early, but battled through nicely to give the team 5 1/3 innings of two-run ball on the mound.

Still, CSUSM found itself down 3-1 in the seventh inning, where with one out Renteria drew a walk, and with two outs pinch runner Jordan Polchow stole second. That brought Omahen to the plate, and he delivered the first (and admittedly less dramatic) of his big hits, driving home Polchow with a squibbed ball off the end of the bat that found its way through the infield. Victor Serna then smoked a huge triple to left, and Jemmett knocked an RBI single to put the Cougars on top 4-3.

Mitch Ferguson was once again brilliant in relief, going an impressive 3 1/3 innings, allowing just one hit, and striking out four batters to close out the game and pick up the much-deserved win. CSUSM added an insurance run in the 8th and won it 5-3.

The Cougars will be back in action at home against Cal Baptist next Friday at 2 p.m.