CougarFest brings the carnival to CSUSM

Angelica Peña

riana Gonzalez (left) and Jessica Arredondo (right) play a tabletop game together.

Lauren Brown, News Reporter

As part of CSUSM’s homecoming week tradition, Associated Students, Inc. held CougarFest in the Chavez Circle.

On Wednesday, Jan. 30, CougarFest gave students the opportunity to enjoy a carnival-themed evening with free food, limited edition T-shirts, carnival games and live music.

Some carnival games included basketball, bumper cars, tossing ping pong balls into a basket and more. Students who participated were awarded one ticket, while those who won the games were given two.

These tickets were exchanged for a myriad of prizes and CSUSM themed merchandise. Prizes that were distributed were socks, flash drives, lanyards, stickers, CougarFest brings the carnival to CSUSM tumblers, pizza cutters, foam fingers, notepads and car sun shaders.

Two food trucks provided food for the attendees of this event. Pomodoro Rosso served authentic Italian food and Marcel had dessert Belgian waffles. Live music was also provided by two CSUSM students, Taf and Happyhour. These students worked together to play EDM music and remixes.

CougarFest has been a tradition on campus before the University Student Union was built. The event has been six months in the making by the staff and students at ASI and is considered one of the organization’s signature events.

At the peak of attendance, the line for admission stretched to the Campus View Dr. and Craven Rd. intersection. Over 380 people signed in to the event.
Kiana Tarrant, ASI’s Pride and Tradition Specialist, was tasked with planning and creating this year’s CougarFest.

“Last year it was during U-hour and it was minute-to-win-it games,” said Tarrant.

“You really just take an annual event and you make it something new every time.”