Global Competency Fair announces new certification

Chase Spear, Assistant News Editor

Students interested in becoming more aware of global events and cultures now have the opportunity to do so with the introduction of the Global Competency Certificate.

The Global Commitment Committee, a part of the College of Humanities, Arts, Behavioral & Social Sciences (CHABSS), held the inaugural Global Competency Fair in the USU Ballroom on Tuesday, March 5.

According to the Global Commitment Committee website the committee is “a year-long program designed to educate and engage the College, campus, and the broader community in a discussion about global issues, trends, and events.”

Dr. Dino Bozonelos said that the fair was designed to “kickoff a non-credit certificate in global competency.” This certificate, known as the Global Competency Certificate, is a non-curricular certificate that helps students become more aware of global issues.

Students of any major can obtain this certification. In order to achieve the certificate, students must attend a certain amount of events.

“In one year, you have to attend eleven to twelve events,” said Professor Elizabeth Ridder. Ridder also said that the Global Competency Certificate promotes civic engagement amongst students.

A variety of tables and activities were set up around the ballroom during the event.

The Study Abroad Program promoted their services to attendees. “If students want a life changing experience, they should plan for Study Abroad during their undergraduate career,” said Study Abroad coordinator Dr. Tiffany Gabbard. According to Gabbard, the program sends students out “for a summer, semester or academic year.”  

Dr. Bozonelos hosted a Greek and Arab cooking demonstration along with his mother. They showed students how to make humus, tzatziki sauce and a Greek spinach dish called spanakopita.

The CSUSM Anthropology Club showcased a Mexican dance performance known as Baile Folklorico, and taught students how to perform the basic steps.

The Global Studies Club allowed students to play a round of geopolitical trivia.

A global map was set up on a board at the event. Students took pin needles and placed them on particular locations of the map. With a sticky note, the students could indicate places on the map where they have either lived, visited or want to visit in the future.

One table at the global fair showcased a group of candidates running for ASI elections under the cabinet name, Growth. According to Growth member, Jaelyn Freeman, Growth is “trying to be the most representative of students” by giving them “a voice.” Growth also strives to “get students more involved in ASI,” said Freeman.

Freeman is currently running as a candidate for Chair and Chief of Staff in the ASI elections.

For more information or if you have any questions, visit the Global Commitment Committee website at www.csusm.edu/chabss/facultyandstaffresources/gcc/index.html.