COVID-19 changes can make us grateful for what we still have

Ariel Lopez, Assistant A&E Editor

When COVID-19 hit, our lives drastically changed, making 2020 the worst year ever for many of us. 

Now that we are six months into the pandemic, it does not seem as bad as it was when everything first shut down. This has become a way of life that I know is temporary, but does not bother me as much as it used to.

I was in my last year at community college when the pandemic hit, making my transfer to CSUSM untraditional compared to other transfer students from previous years. Of course, it bothered me because I was excited to meet new people at CSUSM, but everything had been compromised to Zoom meetings, which is another alternative to interacting with new people. 

On top of that, my first semester at CSUSM is fully online, but I think things worked out well  this semester because it was an easier transition. 

It was difficult for me, among other students, to stop attending class during the middle of spring semester to do everything online because of social distancing rules that were placed. 

Nonetheless, community colleges, universities and other schools did their best to ensure that students were able to learn while everything was online. 

Unfortunately, there are students that do not have access to a laptop or WiFi, which means that I feel guilty for having both assets at the palm of my hand.

COVID-19 has not affected my personal life too much. With my parents home, I was fortunate enough to spend more time with them. 

For example, my dad and I were able to help my mom apply for her citizenship. She thought it was time since she was not working and because she has been living as a permanent resident for 25 years. 

I, on the other hand, have been fortunate enough to continue my normal work day as an essential worker. It became nearly impossible to hire new staff because we were afraid of catching the virus when social distancing and wearing masks became mandatory. Nonetheless, I got used to this surreal lifestyle because it became a part of my life.

I am fortunate enough for the opportunities and resources that I had when the pandemic hit, but this is far from over. Life before the pandemic was not easy, but most of us probably long for that reality to be back. 

Things after COVID-19 won’t be the same, but our experiences can leave us to be more appreciative of what we have.