CHABSS hosts monthly creative contest, announces September winners

Photo Courtesy of CHABSS

CHABSS announced the September winners for their monthly contest.

Jaelyn Decena, A&E Editor

The College of Humanities, Arts, Behavioral and Social Sciences (CHABSS) is hosting a monthly creative works contest called CHABSS Voices.

The intent behind these monthly competitions is to not only encourage student creativity given that classes are online, but to also “help engage and inspire our CHABSS community to come together to emphasize anti-racism, inclusive excellence, social justice, social responsibility, ethics and global culture,” according to the CHABSS website. 

Each month, there will be two winning entries: a CHABSS Dean’s Pick and CHABSS Staff Pick. The student winners will receive an Amazon gift card and their work published to CHABSS’s social media and website. 

September’s theme was “Get Out the Vote.” Honoring National Voter Registration Month, the theme focuses on the importance of voting as Election Day quickly approaches. 

The September Staff Pick winner was an untitled work by AMD 204 student Alexia Lamparelli.

The September Dean’s Pick winner was an anonymous poem titled “November 3rd.” The work highlights the drastic measures that America faces in the 2020 election. One section of the poem in bold and italics references George Floyd’s last words “I can’t breathe.” 

Through highlighting the racial injustice and unrest in America, both works encapture the importance of exercising the right to vote.

The contest will be held every month until May 2021, excluding December. Each month leading up to May 2021 will highlight a different theme. 

The monthly themes can be found on the CHABSS Department’s website. CHABSS faculty and CHABSS majors, minors or students enrolled in at least one CHABSS-focused course are encouraged to push their creative boundaries by entering the CHABSS Voices contest. 

October’s theme is “Life in a Pandemic” and the deadline for submissions is Oct. 26th by 5 p.m.