CSUSM continues to offer creative outlets to students

Photo by David Schwarzenberg on Wikimedia Commons

CSUSM offers clubs and events virtually to spark students’ creativity.

Maria Jungers, Assistant A&E Editor

Although the creative clubs offered at CSUSM aren’t as tangible as they were pre-COVID, they now exist in the comfort of students’ own homes. 

2020 has definitely been a rollercoaster of a year, and the ways students express themselves has changed. 

The creative clubs are here to breathe creative expression back into students’ lives. Whether students are looking to brush up on writing skills with the Literature and Writing Club, satisfy their curiosity with CSUSM Staircase or are simply craving some inspiration through the Arts & Lectures series, they will have the opportunity to participate in these creative outlets virtually. 

The Literature and Writing Club offers meetings biweekly on Tuesdays from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. via Zoom. 

Just recently, the Literature and Writing Club began offering helpful writing exercises and skills that can be transferred into classes or careers. Students are able to stay involved and exposed to the creative writing community by participating in this club.

CSUSM Staircase is another club that is offered virtually, specifically “for visual artists and the artistically curious,” according to their Instagram bio. 

A variety of workshops offered by CSUSM Staircase will be on Zoom every Thursday from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. and will allow students to create something of their own. 

CSUSM Staircase focuses on a broad spectrum of disciplines, including photography, art therapy, illustrations, political science and more. 

Another highlight in the arts department is the Arts & Lectures series. 

This semester, they are offering a series of six talented performers and guest speakers free for students at CSUSM and donation-based for the community. 

Stay tuned for their next Zoom webinar “Letters from our Elders,” a documentary film screening focusing on immigration on Oct. 21 at 6 p.m. 

This film reveals the raw stories and experiences of immigrants coming to the United States. Students can learn, take action and expand their knowledge on current social issues through a unique lens focused around art in our community. 

For further information, check out these creative outlets on Instagram: @ltwrclub, @csusmstaircase and @csusm_artsandlectures.