The Babysitter: Killer Queen brings nonsensical humor and blood

The Babysitter: Killer Queen is now available to stream on Netflix.

Photo from Wikipedia, property of of Netflix

Kat Parra, Staff Writer

With the pandemic still going, streaming services have become the safest and most reliable method of watching a new movie. Now that Halloween is just around the corner, Netflix is releasing films that are perfect for nights at home. 

The Netflix original The Babysitter: Killer Queen, sequel to The Babysitter (2017), follows the unfortunate destiny of the film’s main character Cole, played by Judah Lewis, as he continues to be the missing element for a satanic cult. 

In the first film, Cole stays up past his bedtime only to discover that his babysitter was actually a devil-worshipper and leader of a cult. Killer Queen is directed by the franchise’s original director McG, and the majority of the original cast remained the same for the sequel. 

The film takes place two years after the cult’s failed attempt to sacrifice Cole. 

Now a junior in high school, Cole’s battle with  PTSD leaves him unable to connect with others or his environment. 

His coping mechanisms include unsuccessful school counseling and pills. His parents are fed up with his behavior and urge him to see his experience as a false reality. It becomes apparent that no one believes Cole and others assume he has gone insane. 

In this sequel, Cole agrees to go off on a weekend adventure to a lake with other classmates and his original crush Melanie, played by Emily Alyn Lind. 

Unfortunately, things do not go as planned and instead he spends the night dodging attacks from the demonic cult, which has returned. 

While Cole relives his nightmare, the audience is delighted yet terrified with the return of the original cult members: Max (Robbie Amell), Sonya (Hana Mae), John (Andrew B. Bachelor) and Allison (Bella Thorne). 

One film later, and Max still has no shirt. This time, the film reveals the characters’ stories and how the cult was established. 

Alongside the original cult members, the film also introduces new worshippers that have joined in. 

Within the first twenty minutes of the film, blood is already spreading like wildfire. This time though, Cole gets tangled with the school transfer student Phoebe, played by Jenna Ortega, who has a mysteriously dark past. 

Killer Queen’s main storyline does not change very much since the first film. Yet Netflix continues to satisfy our urges for humor as this cult film remains ludicrous and bloodily charismatic. Through every corner of the film, there are pop culture references to songs, films, lines and people. 

Additionally, this film’s soundtrack will not disappoint. 

This horror-comedy film constantly changes settings from a boathouse to the surrounding mountains. The film is mainly shot at night and in outside settings. Midway towards the end of the film, the setting changes to an abandoned house. 

Another thing to expect is the amount of unrealistic blood throughout the entirety of the film. Each death is odd and not real. 

Despite its absurdity, satanic worship and witty humor, Killer Queen will definitely lure people in.