CSUSM campus open to students, faculty and staff for fall semester

Valeria Serna

CSUSM students, faculty and staff return to campus after spending more than a year of online instruction.

Tania Ortiz, Editor-in-Chief

Cal State San Marcos welcomes back students and faculty to campus following a year and a half of online instruction due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Although the campus is open to students, faculty and staff, CSUSM continues to offer virtual classes for students who prefer to stay safe at home. The university requires all individuals to use masks indoors—regardless of vaccination status—to prevent COVID-19 from spreading.

According to the CSUSM website, fully vaccinated individuals may take off their masks indoors when alone in a room, office or vehicle. Fully vaccinated individuals also have the option to wear masks outdoors.

Students who have only virtual classes can visit campus as long as they follow the university’s COVID-19 protocols. Students have access to study rooms in the library and other facilities on campus, including the University Student Union.

The university has further made changes to campus policies following the pandemic. In July, the California State University system announced that it would implement a COVID-19 vaccine mandate or provide a medical or religious exemption on all campuses, including CSUSM.

All students, faculty and staff who plan to be on campus must submit vaccination documentation via myCSUSM by Sept. 30. Anyone who is not vaccinated or not fully vaccinated by the deadline must participate in a weekly testing program. Those who have an approved exemption will also have to participate in the testing program.

For more information, please visit https://www.csusm.edu/csusmasone/index.html.

Tania Ortiz is a senior communication major serving as the Editor-in-Chief for The Cougar Chronicle. Before transferring to CSUSM, Tania served as Print Editor for The Chariot News at MiraCosta College. After graduation, she hopes to attend journalism school and become a reporter. In her free time, Tania enjoys reading and spending time with friends.