The Traveling Tukwut Study Abroad Fair gives insight on what traveling abroad during a pandemic will look like

Photo by Tania Ortiz

Students had the opportunity to learn about study abroad programs during the Study Abroad Fair.

Diana Beas Soto, Staff Writer

CSUSM’s first study abroad seminar of the semester, the Traveling Tukwut Study Abroad Fair, took place virtually on Sept. 14. After a challenging year of closed down borders worldwide, the idea of traveling abroad seemed out of reach.

With the world slowly opening up, CSUSM offers various programs and resources for undergraduates interested in studying, volunteering or internships abroad.

The study abroad advisors Tiffany Gabbard and Brooke Cousteau kicked off the virtual fair, explaining the new features CSUSM has to offer. Such as a revamped website for easier access to information for students, student exchange programs and faculty-led programs that are gearing up for travel starting in January.

The new and improved CSUSM Global Program and Services website provides a series of features helpful to undergraduate students looking to travel.  Like information on programs offered in the summer, CSU international programs, checklists and FAQs to research.

Undergraduate students can now set up info sessions with study abroad advisors starting in October for more information and options catered to their interests.

Various study abroad programs were present during the Tukwut Traveling Study Abroad Fair, such as Cultural Experiences Abroad (CEA), American Institute of Foreign Study (AIFS), Academic Programs International (APS)  and many more. Each explained their most popular programs and one of the most important factors to students, financing.

Students who receive financial aid are allowed to use that aid towards most study abroad programs. While other programs heavily encourage students to apply to their scholarship programs.

With vaccinations readily available, study abroad programs are making more effort to motivate students to travel overseas. Due to border closures and visa restrictions, the pandemic has forced many programs to close or be put on hold.  However, now that many regulations have been lifted, more opportunities have arisen.

The Tukwut Travel Study Abroad fair ended with students choosing breakout rooms to join with the study abroad program of their choice to learn more and ask questions about the programs.

The ongoing theme throughout the fair was that there is a program out there for every student. Every student’s circumstances are different and study abroad advisors are here to help.

For more information and to set up an info session with Global Programs and Services, visit https://www.csusm.edu/global/studyabroad/index.html.