Campus Notes

Tania Ortiz, Editor-in-Chief

Winter intersession registration now open

Classes for the winter intersession are open for enrollment. The class schedule became available to students on Oct. 11.

Course topics feature art, media and design, biology, computer science, history, literature and writing studies, political science, philosophy and sociology. Students can enroll and earn up to four units towards their degree during the winter intersession.

The winter intersession is four weeks long. The session runs from Dec. 20 to Jan. 15. For more information, please visit csusm.edu/winter.

CSUSM biology professors receive research grants

Six CSUSM biology professors received the COVID-19 Research Recovery Microgrant Program awards from the California State University Program for Education and Research in Biotechnology (CSUPERB).

The professors awarded with grants were Elinne Becket, Julie Jameson, Carlos Luna-Lopez, Bianca Mothé, Arun Sethuraman and George Vourlitis.

They were among 78 CSU faculty who received the award. CSUPERB announced that these grants are a part of an “ongoing initiative to assist tenured/tenure track faculty researchers and their students across the California State University system” as they begin to re-engage in research activities following campus closures due to COVID-19.

ASI Recognizing Milestone Anniversary Throughout Academic Year | CSUSM NewsCenter

Associated Students, Inc., is celebrating its 30th anniversary throughout the 2021-22 academic year with numerous events to reminisce, enjoy moments together in the present and look toward the future.

ASI invites alumni, current students, faculty, staff and community members to submit photos, which will be shared at a 30th anniversary celebration in February. Read more at https://news.csusm.edu/asi-recognizing-milestone-anniversary-throughout-academic-year/.

Deadline for “Apply to Graduate” is near

The deadline to apply for graduation for the fall semester is Nov.1. The application was opened on Oct. 1, 2020, for undergraduate students. For graduate students, the application opened on Aug. 1.

Students can apply for graduation through their myCSUSM account in the Student Center. Students who do not submit their application by the deadline, according to the Office of Registrar’s website, students’ names will not appear in the Commencement program and a possible delay in conferring the degree.

It is also recommended that students meet with their academic advisor before their last semester to meet all graduation requirements.

President Neufeldt to host ‘Listening and Learning’ small group sessions

CSUSM President Ellen Neufeldt will be hosting a series of informal meetings. She invites students, faculty and staff to sign up. Due to the COVID-19, the informal meetings will be held via Zoom and capped at 18 participants per session.

Students, faculty and staff interested in joining President Neufeldt can register at https://www.csusm.edu/president/initiatives/form-smallmeeting.html.

First cluster hire expands diversity of faculty | CSUSM News Center

The Cal State San Marcos faculty has grown more diverse this semester. A new program at the university helped make it that way and will do its best to keep it that way.

Seven new professors are on campus this fall as CSUSM has joined the ranks of universities across the country that are instituting cluster hire initiatives. Cluster hiring is the process of adding new faculty in groups rather than individually, with a goal of building up the research interests and pedagogical concerns particular to people of color.  Read more at https://news.csusm.edu/first-cluster-hire-expands-diversity-of-faculty/.