Cougar Sports Report 2/26/24-3/3/24

Welcome back to the Cougar Sports Report! 

The Women’s Golf team competed in the Tim Tierney Pioneer Shootout from February 26 to February 27 and finished in sixth place.  

Meanwhile, the Men’s Golf team participated in the Battle in the Desert competition from February 26 to February 28 and ended up tying for fifth place.  

On February 29, the Men’s Basketball team closed out their season with an unfortunate 55-94 loss to Sonoma State. They ended the season with a 10-16 record. The Women’s team finished their season with a 58-46 win over Sonoma State and ended the season with a 19-4 record. The Women’s team will now be heading into the playoffs.  

From March 1 to 2, the Women’s Track and Field team competed in the Beach Open where Rasha Badrani won the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 1:01.58. Trinity Barr tied for the third best program high jump at 1.61 meters. While Dymon Preyor surpassed her long jump best at 5.47 meters.  

The Men’s Track and Field team also competed at the Beach Open where Juan Leyva set a new school record in the hammer throw with 51.52 meters. Additionally, record holder Kalathan Laiwa-McKay broke his record in the shot-put set just the week before at 17.14 meters.  

On March 1, the Men’s Baseball team traveled to face up against Cal State Dominguez Hills in the first of a four-game series. They’re off to a great start with a 13-8 win. The following day they doubled up and won their second game against Cal State Dominguez Hills with a 15-5 score.    

On March 3, they made it a streak with a dominant 16-8 win in the third game of their series against Cal State Dominguez Hills. Later that day, they played the final game and ended their series in a clean sweep with a 12-7 win.  

That’s it for this week but be sure to check back next week for more CSUSM Sports action. Go Cougars!