APP OF THE WEEK: STUDY DROID YOUR NEWEST STUDY BUDDY

LEXI POLLARD

What if two common parts of a college student’s life, studying and cell phone use, were combined? The Study Droid application indeed combined the two, compatible for popular Android smart phones. The Study Droid app enables users to create note cards or flashcards for any topic imaginable. Users may edit virtual cards, and pictures from your phone can also be placed on the cards. You create each note card individually, with both the back and front available for text and pictures.

Consumers download this application for free at either www.studydroid.com or directly from the market on the phone itself. The website offers tutorials and explanations on how to create the note cards and allows downloads and syncing of note cards from the site.

The app allows fellow Android owners to share flashcards by giving out the name or URL of the flashcard pack. There is also the option to download, or “clone,” and personally edit previously created packs. Although app purchasers can share and clone flashcard packs, some users use security settings so they may only view and edit their own packs.

When studying for midterms, finals or quizzes, this application is useful for the busy college student on the go. A quick and easy download and creation of the note cards resolves the problems of illegible handwriting, a messy stack of cards and the purchasing of physical, paper note cards. The old school way of studying flashcards may still appeal to some students, but the Study Droid correlates with the convenience of technology.

Photos courtesy of Droid-life.com