CRASH COURSE: TRACK & FIELD UPDATE AND WEEKEND SCORES 4/12

MICHAEL RAWSON
SPORTS EDITOR

CSUSM track & field is rounding the final corner of the season before Nationals, competing at the Pomona Pitzer Invitational on Saturday. With that event in the book, Coach Steve Scott’s athletes have four more chances to punch their ticket to the NAIA National Championships by meeting the qualifying marks.

The Cougars had plenty of highlights on Saturday, as well as plenty of close calls.

Suzanne Cornwell met the “B” qualifying standard in the 1,500-meter run with her time of 4:41.63, good for 11th place at the event.

Michelle Cruz finished 10th in the 800-meter run at 2:17.15, just about a second off the “B” standard.

On the men’s side, Daniel Lyon easily met the “A” standard in the 5,000-meter run, and, while doing so, recorded the team’s best finish of the day. Lyon ran 14:36.95, over eight seconds ahead of the “A” standard, to place second.

Four-time All-American Brett Campfield posted another impressive finish, taking third in the 1,500-meter dash. His time of 3:51.97 is well ahead of the event’s “A” standard.

Coach Scott’s track & field team will next compete at the Mt. Sac Invitational, starting this Thursday.

COACHING, TRAINING POSITIONS OPEN

Know anyone unemployed or unhappy in the sports field? Job-seekers looking for a new opportunity need to look no further than Cal State San Marcos, where positions have opened for Assistant Athletic Trainer, as well as Assistant Coach for both men’s and women’s basketball. For more information visit the careers page on the school website (csusm.edu) or visit the Athletic Department in the Clarke.

WEEKEND SCORES

Baseball

CSUSM 5, Concordia 4

Holtman: 5 scoreless innings

Chapman 4, CSUSM 3

Softball

CSUSM 5, Biola 0

Sandberg: 9 K

CSUSM 8, Biola 0

Dronenburg: 2-run HR

Photo courtesy of flickr.com