HAPPY HOUR OF THE WEEK: THE BRIGANTINE

MICHAEL RAWSON
SPORTS EDITOR

I love a fish taco – probably more than most, and I am a regular at Rubio’s. But when my girlfriend and I are looking to kick it up a notch, we head to the Brigantine.

The Brigantine has eight locations throughout San Diego, one of them right up here in Escondido. Each location has a restaurant and an Oyster Bar, and the Oyster Bar is where things happen. The Point Loma location has a great ambiance. The dark wood décor gives it a sea worthy feel and the several TV screens give it that modern appeal. Being a stone throw away from the Pacific doesn’t hurt either (the only thing the Escondido location is lacking). The Oyster Bar Menu is filled with things that are sure to satisfy every palette – from calamari strips and oyster shooters (a must try, by the way) to potato skins and sliders. Their full bar is sure to not disappoint – the bartenders can whip up anything from a Roy Rodgers to a Pomegranate Margarita. The only disappointing thing about the Brigantine’s happy hour menu is trying to stick to it. With so many delicious items at already reasonable prices it is hard not to taste test everything on the menu. The aforementioned oyster shooters (one oyster, cocktail sauce, horseradish and a lemon wedge served in a shot glass) at $2.50 are perhaps, a seafood mystery risk. But well worth it. The clam chowder is excellent and so are the potato skins. If you’re looking for dessert they have a mud pie, which consists of coffee ice cream and whipped cream and is big enough to share with two or three.

Happy hour at the Brigantine is extensive with deals everyday of the week: Tuesday to Sunday from 3:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., Saturday and Sunday from 11:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and Monday from 11:30 a.m. to closing. All items on the Oyster Bar’s menu are available with a selection of them at discounted prices. Brigantine is famous for its happy hour and that’s because of their fantastic fish tacos: a generous piece of battered and fried fish with fresh salsa fresco, cabbage, the Brig fish taco sauce, a splash of cheddar cheese (optional) and a lime wedge. At $2 a pop you can keep ‘em coming all night – or at least till 7 p.m. The calamari strips are delicious and served with their famous white jalapeño sauce. The sauce alone is worthy to start a fight over, and even if you are not a seafood lover this sauce will keep you coming back for more again and again. Add a specially priced hand shaken margarita or a cold pint for a few truly happy hours.

Escondido location: 421 West Felicita Avenue, Escondido, CA, 92025 (760-743-4718).

Point Loma location: 2725 Shelter Island Drive, San Diego, CA  92106 (619-224-287).

Photos courtesy of foodcoma911.com and Brigantine Family of Restaurants.