BLAZING CALIFORNIA TRAILS, BEACHES: LOCAL RUNNING ON MORE THAN JUST PAVEMENT

LEXI POLLARD

Although the Mangrum Track and Field on the CSUSM campus offers students and community visitors a place to run and complete laps, trails close to campus entice runners with views, scenery and a change of pace.

As a busy college student, time to devote to running is scarce in my schedule, but fortunately San Marcos provides two convenient routes: Double Peak and the Elfin Forest botanical loop in San Elijo Hills. When the sun comes out and I crave an ocean breeze, Tamarack Beach in Carlsbad also appeals to my search for a relaxing atmosphere for running.

The Double Peak trail, which uses old fire roads and new trails, is open to the public and consists of five miles of trail. According to trails.com, this route is a moderate skill level with an out-and-back trail type. An out-and-back trail brings the runner back to the starting point, or in other words a round trip run. The City of San Marcos website offers a myriad of information regarding this trail, including the fact that the first mile is paved, and is then followed by four miles of a single track trail leading to a peak. This view offers adventurers with sights of the Pacific Ocean, lagoons, the Palomar Mountains, and various other landscapes.

If the moderate skill level, distance and spectacular view sound attractive, then begin this running adventure at Lakeview Park off Foxhill in Discovery Hills. The trail starts at the end of Via Vera Cruz street where a sign directs visitors to the trail, and markers scatter along the trail.

The Elfin Forest botanical loop is an easy skill leveled loop run of 1.5 miles. As a part of the Elfin Forest Recreational Reserve, the trail is not only a great place to run, but to hike as well. Quiet and appropriate for all ages, the loop run offers visitors a relaxed atmosphere.

Lastly, if a runner wants a break from a forested trail, concrete walkways along the street and parallel to the beach in Tamarack Beach in Carlsbad present a flat surface for runners. The lower walkway is wider and allows runners to feel the breeze of the ocean during exercise. The two walkways are popular, but have never been too crowded for a run even on weekends. A short walk down to the sand and water introduces the opportunity to combine a street and beach run, and a possible swim to cool down after! As a runner myself who avidly visits this beach to run, I find the atmosphere energizing because a number of people are exercising as well.

Whether one is an advanced runner, or one looking for a relaxed and de-stressing run, all three locations provide routes to accommodate both types of runs.

Photos courtesy of city-data.com and moutainbikebill.com