Dropping This Week 9/7

By Rebekah Green

That Evening Sun

Director Scott Teems’ fourth film is an independent gem based on a short story by William Gay entitled “I Hate To See That Evening Sun Go Down.” The film’s adaptation revolves around Abner Meecham (Hal Holbrook), an elderly man who leaves a nursing home and returns to his farm in Tennessee to discover that the new tenant is his enemy Lonzo Choat (Ray McKinnon) and his family. This results in a turn of events that lead Meecham to fight for his home and for the life he once had. Co-stars Carrie Preston (True Blood) and Mia Wasikowska (Alice in Wonderland) give impressive performances worth appreciating.

Solitary Man

Ben (Michael Douglas) is a successful man, or at least he was. After things begin to fall apart with his career, Ben continues to spiral downward, finding romantic interests in much younger women despite his daughter’s dismay. “Solitary Man” is the second film directed by duo Brian Koppelman and David Levien. Michael Douglas shines in his role as a father and ex-husband who must open his eyes to his rapidly changing life. Touching upon reality and character with less emphasis on theatrics, this film proves when life gives you a bad hand, feeding it may blind you to the real problems you should face.

Interpol – Self-titled

Interpol’s fourth studio album, self-titled “Interpol,” is a perfect display how the band has evolved since their first studio album “Turn on the Bright Lights” was released in 2002. Listeners will recognize the band’s familiar sound, but “Interpol” will touch on more orchestral inspired sounds. This is also the last album including bassist Carlos Dengler who decided to pursue new projects. Dengler had been with Interpol since the band’s beginnings. The first single, “Lights,” was released in May followed by “Barricade” released this summer.

Sara Bareilles – Kaleidoscope Heart

Ever since her single, “Love Song,” hit the airwaves, Sara Bareilles gained top chart attention with her catchy tunes, relatable lyrics and beautiful use of the piano. “Kaleidoscope Heart” is Bareilles’ second studio album with Epic Records, and the first single, “King of Anything” gives off an empowering feel yet still manages to sound upbeat and positive. Bareilles has also released webisodes at www.sarabmusic.com, documenting the process of making “Kaleidoscope Heart.”