CRASH COURSE: COUGAR SPORTS UPDATE 5/10

MICHAEL RAWSON
SPORTS EDITOR

Women’s Basketball Signs Another Recruit

Head Coach Sherri Jennum has landed another women’s basketball recruit, and this time a local star, Chelsea Maurer of Grossmont College. Maurer, a 5’10” guard/forward, marks Jennum’s first recruit from San Diego after a slew of talent from other parts of California and Arizona. An avid surfer, Maurer arrives at CSUSM after captaining the Grossmont College team to consecutive Pacific Coast Athletic Conference championships, averaging 9.3 points and 6.5 rebounds per game. ”Chelsea is a terrific young lady and a fiery competitor,” Jennum said. “Having played in two excellent programs, she has become a solid perimeter player. Her work ethic will ensure that she continues to grow into her potential. We are very fortunate that she will be a part of our inaugural team.” The signing marks the 9th for Jennum’s team, while Jim Saia’s men’s program has yet to announce a recruit.

Four Players Earn AII Honors: Sandberg Pitcher, Williams Coach of Year

Softball pitcher Brenna Sandberg has been named the Association of Independent Institutions Pitcher of the Year for the second straight season, and this year three Cougars join her on the All-Conference Team. Head Coach Dave Williams received his second straight Conference Coach of the Year award. Junior first baseman Alyssa Dronenburg, freshman second baseman Alex Miller, and freshman outfielder Derrisha Lacey all earned spots on the A.I.I. All-Conference Team, which was announced at Wednesday night’s conference awards banquet in Carlsbad. Sandberg, a 2010 NAIA Second Team All-American, led the NAIA with 35 wins and 255.2 innings pitched. She ranks nationally in the top 10 in strikeouts (322) and earned run average (1.10). Dronenburg, who led the team with 9 home runs, earned her third straight All-Conference appearance. Expect the exceptional Miller and Lacey to do the same.

A.I.I. CHAMPIONSHIP SCORES

SOFTBALL

Simon Fraser– 2
CSUSM – 1

CSUSM – 9
Patten University – 3

U. of Houston Victoria – 2
(13) CSUSM – 1

BASEBALL

CSUSM – 10
Thomas College – 8

CSUSM – 21
U. of Houston Victoria – 13

CSUSM – 10
U of Houston Victoria – 3