Midnight Madness: The Rocky Horror Picture Show

By Candice Wyatt

The Rocky Horror Picture Show is a 1975 horror musical starring Tim Curry and Susan Sarandon.  The spoofs and random details such as a transvestite character from the planet of Transsexual, in the galaxy of Transylvania, make this a hilariously funny horror movie that is more likely to have you laughing than scared.

The film was originally produced by Lou Adler, who is known for his Cheech and Chong films.  Adler took his corny humor and produced what is currently the longest-running theatrical release in film history.  The Rocky Horror Picture Show has taken in over $130 million in box office sales in the 35 years that it has ran in cinemas across the US.  20th Century Fox has released over eight editions of the film since the 1980s, and a 35th Anniversary edition will be released in Blu-ray on Oct. 19, 2010.

The La Paloma Theater in Encinitas has been showing the Rocky Horror Picture Show for almost 15 years now with Crazed Imaginations, the Rocky Horror cast.  The show features the original theatrical film played on screen behind the cast who acts out the scenes on stage.  It’s a modernized adaptation to a classic film with lots of adult-oriented humor.  Sexual innuendos and blunt vulgarity are imbedded in every line.  “There’s a certain raw humor.  I guarantee you will have fun, be shocked and say ‘Oh that’s just not right,’” stated Kenneth Cassidy, Cast Director.

The film has created a culture of followers who continue to make the Rocky Horror Picture Show a regular part of their weekly lives.

“My very first show was in 2001 as a freshman in high school.  One of my friends was in cast, so Friday we’d go. And at some point I wanted to be on stage.  Even though I don’t get paid, it’s still tons of fun.  I do it because I get to see my friends, I get to meet new people and make them laugh all night.  Plus, I like the attention when I’m running around in my underwear,” said Cassandra Klingbeil, Rocky Horror Cast member since 2008.

The show begins with a humorous introduction explaining the show rules, which aren’t many.  Then there’s the induction of the “virgins” who have never been to a Rocky Horror Picture Show before which often includes bananas, whip cream and good ‘ole fashioned spankings.  “First timers can expect confusion.  Utter confusion.  Some of the stuff people are yelling might offend them.  Some stuff might make you laugh your ass off,” said Cassidy.  A few other games, such as “unhook that bra,” will get the audience fired up for the show.

The show will be anything but quiet, motionless entertainment.  As an audience member, you will yell callbacks, throw stuff and dance the “Time Warp.”  If you don’t have things to throw or don’t know how to do the dance, don’t worry.  Goody bags full of items to throw at specific times during the movie are available to purchase for $2 and the “Time Warp” steps are easy and the movie shows you how to do it.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show is held every Friday at midnight at La Paloma Theater and admission is $9.  The second Friday of every month is Lingerie Night, where cast members and audience members come dressed in street legal lingerie.  For more information on rules, cast members or to see photos, visit www.crazedimaginations.net.