IT’S ALL GREEK TO ME: TRANSLATING THE FIVE GREEK ORGANIZATIONS AT CSUSM

JENNA JAUREGUI
CO-EDITOR-IN-CHEIF

Fall semester at Cal State San Marcos signals a prime recruiting period for Greek organizations as new students look for ways to be involved on campus. When deciding which fraternity or sorority to “rush,” students should research the history, requirements, and standards of each organization.

CSUSM recognizes three sororities (Alpha Pi Sigma, Alpha Chi Omega, and Alpha Xi Delta), and two fraternities (Zeta Beta Tau and Sigma Alpha Epsilon). According to a 2008 memo from Student Life and Leadership Director Dilcie Perez, the fraternity Tau Kappa Epsilon (TKE) is no longer recognized on the CSUSM campus.

Alpha Pi Sigma (AΠΣ) is a Latina based sorority. Its website, alphapisigma.org, states its mission is “to unite and support women to advance academically and professionally.”

Alpha Chi Omega (AXO) is a sorority dedicated to developing “smart, compassionate, makea- difference women,” according to alphachiomega.org. This sorority makes a strong commitment to “academics, community service and leadership.”

Alpha Xi Delta (AΞΔ) is a sorority with a vision: “inspiring women to realize their potential.” Its website, alphaxidelta. org, states the organization’s commitment to developing its members strengths and talents within the sorority’s sisterhood.

Zeta Beta Tau (ZBT) is “the nation’s first Jewish fraternity,” according to zbt.org. It is “open to all men of good character” and seeks to help its members develop “intellectual awareness, social responsibility, integrity and brotherly love.”

Sigma Alpha Epsilon (ΣAE) is a fraternity that touts the message “be true.” Its website, sae. net, states that the organization helps its members “fulfill their educational aspirations and goals,” and promotes programs that teach “leadership, scholarship, and personal development.”

Students can discover many opportunities by joining a Greek organization. CSUSM is proud to host these fraternities and sorority chapters, but students must remember to always be safe and legal when representing their organization. If students have questions or concerns regarding any campus organization’s activities, they should contact Student Life and Leadership (csusm.edu/sll).

Photo courtesy of Jenna Jauregui