HAPPY HOUR OF THE WEEK: HALF-TIME AT PLAYERS SPORTS BAR

KRISTIN MELODY

All of us CSUSM students could use at least an hour of happiness, and Players Sports Bar delivers all the way, including TVs over the urinals.

I spent this week’s Happy Hour at Players off Twin Oaks Valley Rd. across from campus, which is open from 10 a.m. – 2 a.m. and has Happy Hour from 2 – 7 p.m. Monday – Friday. For all you local or new students, this is a great place to meet fellow students because it is close to campus and supports a young scene. If you have any love for Padres or Red Sox, this place will sympathize with you.

The Happy Hour deals included $1 off wine, beer and wells; you will also get $2 off appetizers including their delicious, picante chips and salsa. Enjoy the tasty potato wedges while watching a late season baseball game on one of their 21 large TVs. Another commendable part of Players was the beer list that included local breweries like Lost Abbey, Ballast Point and Green Flash as well as foreign and domestic brews. Indulge in craft beers like Lost Abbey’s Red Barn Ale and Rogue’s Hazelnut Brown for $2.75 each while gawking at the 100 oz. “tubes” of domestic beer at the next table. The beer happy hour prices ranged from $2.75 – $9 for 16 oz. For those transplant students from the northeast, Players’ beer includes Magic Hat #9, the famous craft beer of that area. If you are free on a Wednesday, head over to “Kick the Keg” to enjoy that week’s domestic beer keg at $2 – $4 a pint from 2 p.m. until the keg is empty.

Other enjoyment for family, 18+, and 21+ included the two pool tables and outdoor seating with fire places and sporty atmosphere. Players is a great place to meet new friends from CSUSM, take someone on a date or relax after a long day of classes.

Photos by Sarah Green