HAPPY HOUR OF THE WEEK: BJ’S RESTAURANT AND BREWHOUSE- A TASTE OF DOWNTOWN, IN CARLSBAD

KRISITN MELODY
PRIDE STAFF WRITER

A good microbrew and a deep dish pizza always make for one hour of happiness. BJ’s Restaurant and Brewhouse in Carlsbad provides enough variety to satisfy any palette.

BJ’s motto, “Discover why it’s always Happy Hour at BJ’s,” proved to be valid not only for its tasty treats, like the spinach artichoke dip appetizer, but also for their award-winning beers. BJ’s is more refined than your average dive bar and their menu supports the ambience with a wide variety of items from giant stuffed potatoes to gourmet burgers, pizza and fish and chips. The most creative thing to do is to build your own deep dish pizza using ingredients including bacon, artichokes, jalapeños and sweet corn. Match that unique pizza with a specialty beer ($3.95 during happy hour), most notably the Piranha Pale Ale, BJ’s Jeremiah Red and the gold medalist Belgian style wheat beer, to create a meal all your own. BJ’s supports craft beer brewing and bjsbrewhouse.com runs a “Brewer Blog.” After you’ve filled up on tasty beer and pizza, direct your eyes to the must try “Pizookie” dessert: your choice of a baked cookie covered with two scoops of vanilla ice cream.

The happy hour deals offer $1 off specialty cocktails, $2 off appetizers and certain nights have specials like half off all wine on Tuesday nights or $5 Mojito Mondays. BJ’s happy hour runs from 3 – 7 p.m. Monday – Friday and 7 – close Sunday – Thursday.

BJ’s atmosphere is reminiscent of downtown San Diego, with an indoor and outdoor area, invitingly dim light, open space, an expansive bar, stylish decoration and friendly service. It is part of the attractive dining and shopping scene near the Carlsbad Flower Fields, which seems geared toward San Diego tourists but still provides a fun night out for locals looking to hit up the scene of Carlsbad.

BJ’s Restaurant and Brewhouse is located on Paseo del Norte in Carlsbad and is open 11 a.m. – midnight Monday – Thursday, 11 – 1 a.m. Friday, 10 – 1 a.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. – midnight Sunday.

Photos by Kristin Melody and Morgan Hall